Stale Videos - Moldova Pre-Service Training

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Simply Rhetoric?

Barack Obama is causing quite a stir in the political arena.

He has come to represent change, something undeniably surprising - and refreshing- to millions of people across the nation

But how much is just talk? People know not to have faith in politicians, and there is a perception that it takes an 'enlightened' individual to show restraint from being deceived by one. Even one as eloquent and inspiring as Mr. Obama.

This is an issue I've often run into. "He's a good talker, ain't he?" says the blue collar worker sitting next to me at the bar. He sips his beer and regards the television with a cautious eye. "You're right," I reply, "he really is."

Emanating from the television speakers is the voice of Barack Obama, giving a speech after his victories in the Metro-area primaries.

I can see the man was itching to drive home his larger point, the insinuation being that Obama was simply that - talk. He was probably expecting a negative response from me, to lash out in blind defense of this man who hypnotized a nation with words. But what he failed to understand, although i hope he comes to appreciate it, is that Obama's appeal, his charisma and inspiring approach, are not politically concocted formulas. It's the very fact that he so passionately distances himself from that kind of politics.

This isn't to say my fellow at the bar didn't have a point, or that Obama is immune to the inevitable shortcomings of a politician. Nobody's perfect, and frankly, if Obama is elected, it's going to be very difficult for him to live up to hype. The man and I entered a cordial political discussion, in which he, as a "blue collar guy," related his fears that the economy won't pick up. "Results" he said, " I wanna see results."

I found as I talked to him he was more open-minded than his demeanor would suggest. A lot of his worries, it seems, stemmed from what you read and hear every day. That an optimistic outlook is naive, even dangerous. Leads to disappointment. Always has been that way with politics, and life, always will be. But what if it didn't have to be?

We talked for a while longer. I had class in the morning so I bid him goodnight. As I got up to leave, he grabbed me by the arm and looked me square in the eye. "You really think there is something to this guy, kid?"

I just shrugged and nodded. "I really do."

He looked pensive for a moment, then started nodding to himself. "I'll give it a thought."

As I walked away I had a realization. People want to be inspired, want to believe in something. They want to have hope. But it's fear that keeps them from doing so, not any perceived understanding of reality.

So I'll leave it at this. What's a life worth, living in fear?

No comments: